On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:47:51AM +0900, James Gray wrote:
>>
>> A Ruby algorithms book would be really nice to have.  (I have a Perl
>> book like that I've used a fair bit.)
>
> I'd love to find a Ruby algorithms book, myself.

Yeah, I've even considered submitting a proposal for one of these to a
publisher.  It would be a lot of work though, for sure.  ;)

> re: Perl . . .
> Are you talking about Mastering Algorithms with Perl, by Macdonald,
> Orwant, and Hietaniemi?

Yes.

> I haven't really had a chance to read it in any
> depth, but it looks like a great way to get a basic introduction for
> someone who knows Perl, and build a foundation for some of the more
> complex and in-depth algorithms books.

It's pretty good.

At times it gets a little into the download-this-library-to-do-the-
work-for-you mode.  While that's often the way you should handle that
kind of thing, I want an algorithm book to teach me instead.

It's definitely good about raising your familiarity overall though.

The examples are also usually pretty easy to translate to Ruby.  :)

James Edward Gray II