markonlinux / gmail.com wrote:
> "This problem actually turns out to be famous in computer science.
> It's called the Knapsack Problem.
> My questions are:
> 1. Is there a definitive book/web site/resource on this and other
> computer science 'problems'? (Whether Ruby, C, C++, Java, Perl based).
> 2. Do people have favorite 'Data Structure and Algorithm' books?
> 3. Other Computer Science book recommendations?
> I'd love to get to a point where I could look at the quiz description
> and say "oh.. that looks like the XXX problem" like some of you are
> able to do.

Lots of good suggestions for algorithms books to answer your 2 & 3, but
note that I think I'm the only one who's attempted to answer your first
question, and to point you to a list of the "known hard problems", which
was also the subject of your last paragraph.

Does anyone else have better answers to question 1, which seems to be
Mark's main question?