ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote in message news:<lyuR7.101248$lV4.14614882 / e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>...
> It's been several months since we've had one of these surveys for those
> who have just arrived in RubyLand....

been using ruby for about a month

> So, if you're relatively new to Ruby (let's say it's been less than three
> months since you tried out Ruby) or if you find that you want to answer,
> here are a few questions for you:
>
> 1) How did you find out about Ruby?

i believe an article on slashdot a while back had stuck the name in my
brain [http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=ruby]. I was looking for a
new language to learn (bored w/ current one) and i started with python
but i didn't really like all the __xxx__ vars and the object model.
somehow ruby came to mind again.

> 2) Prior to finding Ruby, what programming language(s) did you primarily
> use?

Java, Java, Java

> 3) (this question is for folks coming from PythonLand or PerlLand)
> What Python or Perl modules do you miss most and wish that Ruby had?
>
> 4) (follow-up to #3) Would the lack of these modules preclude you from
> using Ruby?
>
> 5) Do you think you'll be using Ruby at work in the next:
>   3 months?   6 months?  (or do you already use it at work?)

i wish!!

> 6) (follow-up to #4) If you don't forsee being able to use Ruby at work
> within the next 6 months, what is the main reason keeping you from using
> it there?

company is _extremely_ small, only 2-3 full time java programmers
(myself included).  because of this we tend to stick with main stream
technologies in case the developer 'gets hit by a bus'.  finding a
java programming to fill a position is easy, finding someone versed in
ruby ain't. that's life