On Feb 3, 8:32=A0am, Eivind Eklund <eekl... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 7:10 PM, Chad Perrin <per... / apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ruby and Python are pretty decent choices, I think.
>
> > To the list of high-level dynamic languages for teaching programming, I'=
> > add Logo (specifically UCBLogo), Perl, and probably DrScheme.
>
> Why Perl? =A0I know Perl fairly well, unfortunately having done most of
> my programming in it over the last 12 years, but I don't see why it
> would be appropriate for teaching. =A0I'd think all the weird
> irregularities would get in the way, but if you actually have
> experience with it, I'd like to hear why I'm wrong (if I'm wrong).
>
> Eivind.

The "irregularities" usually only happen when you are doing more
complicated Perl. For a starter language there is no reason to do that
and Perl is a good choice there. It has libraries for almost any
aspect of programming you would want to do. I find it personally "fun"
to program in myself and is a good first language for a hobbyist. I
don't discount Ruby as a started language either.

Robert