On Feb 4, 2008 12:04 PM, F. Senault <fred / lacave.net> wrote:
> Le 4 frier 2008 09:45, Jes Gabriel y Gal a rit :

> > One of my plans has always been to build online turn based strategy games,
>
> Same here.  I find that using Ruby on Rails for the "interface" and pure
> ruby for the backend can be a powerful cocktail : since I have strictly
> no artistical talent whatsoever, every time I tried to write a game in
> any language (and I've been trying for, mh, 20 years, now), the
> interface part just discouraged me.

I came to Ruby when somebody showed me Rails, but I immediately
dropped Rails and focused on the language. My approach then was:
let's build some CLI games like Alhambra, no graphics at all, just the
engine of the game, basically to learn Ruby and to model some games.
Then I would follow that with decoupling the interface from the engine,
then building a web interface with Rails or whatever, then step back
and build framework for the whole stuff so that building the next
game is a simple thing.

Still stuck on step 1 of the process. If you are familiar with Alhambra,
I'm missing just the check of not being able to build a tile if you leave
a set of surrounded empty tiles. Then of course, since I have learnt
some more Ruby in the meantime, I would like to rewrite the whole thing from
scratch !!! this always happens to me :-)

> OTOH, with HTML (and a bit of
> Ajax), I can manage to get something that looks rather nice.
>
> Now, I just need to find the time and motivation to finish it...  :)

Motivation high here, time low :-(

Jesus.