On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:05 PM, gregarican wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2:20 pm, Jayson Williams <williams.jay... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 2008 3:56 PM, Matthew Borgeson
>> <hibridmatth... / sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello All-
>>
>>> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
>>> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical
>>> pharmacist.
>>
>>> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great,
>>> they
>>> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability
>>> among my
>>> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>>
>>> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I
>>> have
>>> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I
>>> have
>>> seen of their results:
>>
>>> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
>>> Qt (My preference)
> [...]
>>
>>> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want
>>> to use
>>> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by
>>> how hard
>>> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>>
>>> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>>
>>> Thank you
>>
>>> Matthew F Borgeson
>>> --
>>
>> I cast my lot for Tk. I spent a great deal of time looking for a GUI
>> Toolkit to use with Ruby,
>> and I  have dabbled with most all of them (shoes being the one
>> exception). Like yourself, I also found myself using
>> Ruby a lot at work, and wanted to make the interface for my
>> applications a bit more user friendly than a CLR interface.
>> After testing out one GUI or another, I always came back to Tk.
>> My reason for turning to Tk, was for the very things you are looking
>> for in a GUI Toolkit;
>> Tk was very easy for me to pick up. Where one GUI had me stumped, I
>> found that it took much less time to
>> figure out how to do the same thing in Tk. If your looking for
>> ease of
>> learning, Tk is my choice. There are
>> others that have this or that, or can do this or that, but if your
>> looking for something quick, Tk is it.
>>
>> --Jayson- Hide quoted text -

> I had similar experiences a few years ago. Tk seemed to work "out of
> the box" best. Kind of like how Python comes with Tk as a built-in GUI
> builder with the standard install. While Qt has their designer and GTK
> has Glade the last time I checked a true drag and drop GUI builder was
> a lacking feature in Ruby. Even using the these GUI builders you had
> to manually run some utilities and manually wire things together to
> some extent.
>
> Of course this was several years ago. I heavily rely upon Ruby for a
> host of admin scripting, SQL data extraction/manipulation, and the
> like. All CLI, though. The Ruby language is so relatively clean and
> intuitive that it's a lot easier to do things using it. But for RAD
> design of GUI apps I eventually bit the bullet and went with C# using
> Visual Studio 2005. I know there's a lot of Microsoft haters among the
> Ruby and Linux community but if there's an quicker and easier way of
> doing things I'd love to jump ship. I checked out everything from
> Widestudio to all of the aforementioned GUI builders for Ruby. But
> nothing compared to RAD development using VS2005. The last Ruby GUI
> app I developed was back in 2005 using QtRuby and before that I
> developed another one in 2003 using Ruby/Tk. Everything else since
> then has been done using VS2005 and C#. The C# language is like tying
> your hands behind your back compared to the elegance of Ruby but the
> ease of dragging and dropping widgets and having the wiring together
> done behind the scenes is worth it :-(
>
> I'd love to get back into what current projects and revisions of GUI

A quicker easier way? Well, that's a good question, initially, I
think of RubyCocoa, but of course it requires a little understanding
of the Cocoa/NextStep/OpenStep world.... however, what I don't know
and am very curious about now is whether or not there is a RubyCocoa
equivalent for GNUOpenStep (or is it GNUStep?) itself!!?
If so, that world has always been a pretty nifty RAD world, and if
RubyCocoa or something like it works with the open source version of
the IDE & GUI builder, then there would be some great tools to knock
things out quickly, and rebuild in C or Objective-C as needed for
performance.

Tk is definitely the easiest to get started with.
Qt is definitely one of the best looking and most native feeling with
the final product.
wx is somwhere in between.
Glade & GTK are not bad, but there's a learning curve that will
require some time.

If you already have the CLI versions of the apps, and you are the one
who wrote them, it should be fairly easy to wrap them with GUIs, but
you might find yourself needing to change some of your code to make
sense with MVC design.