Yeah! I see. I think apt-get (of Debian) has done a great job
on this topic. It just install all runtime dependencies when you
run
  apt-get install something
And it provides an extra command to install the dev dependecies:
  apt-get build-dep something
I think RubyGems have no such features yet, isn't it? Maybe they
can think about similar things. So currently I should think the
definition of "dependency" be "dev dependency".