On Jan 31, 2008 3:56 PM, Matthew Borgeson <hibridmatthias / sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>
> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>
> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
> seen of their results:
>
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>
> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>
> Thank you
>
> Matthew F Borgeson
> --

I cast my lot for Tk. I spent a great deal of time looking for a GUI
Toolkit to use with Ruby,
and I  have dabbled with most all of them (shoes being the one
exception). Like yourself, I also found myself using
Ruby a lot at work, and wanted to make the interface for my
applications a bit more user friendly than a CLR interface.
After testing out one GUI or another, I always came back to Tk.
My reason for turning to Tk, was for the very things you are looking
for in a GUI Toolkit;
Tk was very easy for me to pick up. Where one GUI had me stumped, I
found that it took much less time to
figure out how to do the same thing in Tk. If your looking for ease of
learning, Tk is my choice. There are
others that have this or that, or can do this or that, but if your
looking for something quick, Tk is it.

--Jayson