On Jan 30, 9:44 am, Chris Hulan <chris.hu... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Just got note from O'Reilly about The Ruby Programming Language
> (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516178)
> by Matz and Flanagan.  This must have been a super-secret project as I
> can't find any references to it via Google.
>
> Looks good, but do I really need another RUby book?  9^)
>
> Cheers

Chris,

We kept it secret until November 2007 or so.  Then I posted about it
on my blog and mentioned it on the ruby-core list.

You may not need another Ruby book, but this one is quite different
than the others out there--it is really focused on the language itself
and explains it in depth.  Also, it is the first book out to cover the
language changes in Ruby 1.9.

My theory in writing this book is explained well in O'Reilly's press
release (which may be what O'Reilly sent to you):

> The problem with a forgiving and flexible language like Ruby is that
> programmers can accomplish much with it, without ever getting down to
> the nitty-gritty. While this benefits one's productivity, it may also
> lessen the motivation to learn more, which will ultimately hinder
> innovation. "Programmers can usually muddle through a program and get
> stuff done even if they don't really understand what's going on,"
> observes David Flanagan, the bestselling author who has teamed up with
> Ruby creator Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto to produce his newest book, The
> Ruby Programming Language (O'Reilly, US $39.99).
>

> "Our book documents the language in depth," says Flanagan, "and my
> hope is that it will help programmers (even those who already program
> with Ruby) to really master the language and sharpen their Ruby
> programming skills."

    David Flanagan