On 1 feb, 11:19, pluskid <plus... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find hoe a cool tool to build and release gems. But I find that
> the gem built with hoe get a dependency to hoe automatically.
> I think the user will only need to install hoe if he want to build
> the gem manually. So adding this dependency automatically
> is unreasonable, isn't it?
>
> Or am I wrong? Is it that the gem built by hoe need hoe to run?
> Thanks!

The argument behind this is that you can "gem check -t gemname" to run
the unit tests for a gem.

If the user firing that command don't have 'hoe' installed, will fail
due a missing dependency.

There is no way to differentiate build, test and runtime environments
for RubyGems.

Is quite common things like this were asked (I have tracked a mail
from 2005 AFAIK).

Anyhow, Susan Potter just raised this issue [1].

She is using something interally that could, adapted to mainstream,
help everybody in the long run.

[1] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-February/003538.html
--
Luis Lavena