Regnum / argentina.com Regnum / argentina.com wrote:
> Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.

The answer to this is, as with so many things, in the eye of the
beholder.  What you want is a language where your efforts in programming
are as unhampered as possible.  The C-like family (C/C++/C#/Java) have
linguistic complexities that are an addition layer of learning beyond
just the programming.  On the other hand, there are libraries that
simplify things a great deal in those languages.  You can get netbeans
and have a java app running with pushbuttons and text boxes in no time.
It is even easier in Delphi but that is expensive.  Netbeans and Java
are free.

Ruby is a far easier language in a great many ways.  If there is a
difficult aspect to it that is at all analogous it is that you need to
know what ruby already has done FOR you.  There are so many calls that
do the job that the other guys just have to know how to do themselves
that just learning them all can seem daunting.  Even just the regex is
an art form that still gets questions.  For getting things done, ruby is
far simpler.  myarray.sort is an easy answer and I have no idea how any
times that I wrote my own sorting methods.  /sigh

If you want to learn a language from scratch and get things done in it,
ruby is just fine.  If you want the ins and outs of algorithms, you
might try Java.  Whichever you choose, stick with it until you have it
mastered.  Once you have that done, you can learn other languages with
greater ease and to a greater extent.  As a matter of fact, when you
have learned your first language well, you *should* learn others.  It
will sharpen your skills.

IMHO