Matthew Borgeson wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>
> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>
> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
> seen of their results:
>
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.

Since nobody seems to have done it yet, let me place a +1 for Tk. I'm
not really into GUI programming much, but Tk has always felt very
straight-forward to me. And the new tk8.5 looks really nice (if you want
to judge a book by its cover). Most importantly, I think it is
significantly easier to learn Tk than Gtk or Qt.

I have played around a bit with both QtRuby and Ruby/Gtk and their both
okay, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of either. I must say that a slightly
prefer Ruby's Gtk bindings to the Qt ones, although I prefer Qt itself
to Gtk.

If *I* were to build a GUI app for some inexplicable reason I would
start searching for bindings for Motif or the excellent Athena widget set..

Lorenzo