Jesse Edelstein <jmedelstein / gmail.com> spewed forth with:
> On Jan 30, 2008 11:44 AM, Chris Hulan <chris.hulan / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just got note from O'Reilly about The Ruby Programming Language
> > (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516178)
> > by Matz and Flanagan.  This must have been a super-secret project as I
> > can't find any references to it via Google.
> >
> > Looks good, but do I really need another RUby book?  9^)
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Looks like a ground-up approach going over most of the language. I can
> see that it'd complement a tutorial approach like the Pickaxe by
> providing a little more detail over each component of Ruby. From the
> previews, the writing looks pretty straightfoward, though it'd be nice
> to see a little more from matz on the reasoning behind design choices.

Apparently, it is what would have been the second edition of "Ruby In
A Nutshell," but I guess with adding authors, they decided to rename it.

From the preface (by David Flanagan):

This book is an updated and expanded version of Ruby in a Nutshell
by Yukihiro Matsumoto (who is better known as Matz). It is loosely
modeled after the classic The C Programming Language by Kernighan
and Ritchie and aims to document the Ruby language comprehensively
but without the formality of a language specification. It is written
for experienced programmers who are new to Ruby, and for current
Ruby programmers who want to take their understanding and mastery
of the language to the next level.