In many places, the date is formatted as 12 Oct 2008. This is shorter
(no comma) and is also in a 'sort of sortable' sequence (DMY or YMD).

24 hr time is also a useful format. I have been looking for a wall
clock with 24 hr time. Usually the designers have only a leading '1'
and don't allow for a leading '2'.

Bob G