On Jan 25, 6:35 pm, Joseph Pecoraro <joepec... / gmail.com> wrote:

> I really have spent the last 20 minutes trying out different
> possibilities with a single regular expressions but it just doesn't seem
> worth the difficulty =(
>
> May I ask why there is the requirement for a single regular expression?
>
> - Joe P

thanks for your post.  a reason is that some text editor lets users
search all files using a regular expression... another reason is
that... if 2 lines are used to test... then what if that line actually
has   tire and snowtire... then it may negate the whole line as a
result, even though we want to grep it due to the first word "tire".