On Jan 25, 2008 8:48 AM, Softmind Technology
<softmindtechnology / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been reading lots of headings about the New Rubinius Project and
> therefore decided to know more from the website.
I am very badly placed to answer but it is night time over there so I
will take advantage of that ;)

> Unfortunately from the main Rubinius website and reading few blogs here
> and there i could not understand the exact importance of Rubinius.
I feel that their Website is not yet up with the rest of the standards
they are setting, but....
> The
> only thing i could gather was its a VM written in Ruby, using the idea
> of Small Talk 80. I also failed to understand, whether this a hype or an
> actual advantage flowing to us.
It is an enormous advantage, the JRuby guys claim that Java has the
best VM the best GC etc. etc. and that therefore it is a brilliant
idea to use them, that is indeed true, however having only 1 is never
a good idea.
I have had the feeling that the idea of the Smalltalk VM suits a
dynamic language better and have posted that a long time ago, that was
how I was pointed to Rubinius... (but I fail to have the time and
qualification to participate).

> I was surprised to know 6 full time programmers are hired by Engine yard
> to work full time on this project.
I am not at all, their goal is make Rubinius one of the best and most
advanced VM for dynamic languages, six guys seems quite a small lot to
me.

> Since i am new to this ruby world... my knowledge is limited.
Even if you were ancient to the ruby world your knowledge would be
limited ;). But a very warm welcome.
Enough of the stupid writing I have given, there are excellent casts
about this out there, let's see if I can find them for you:

Ruby Implementors panel
http://mtnwestrubyconf2007.confreaks.com/session04.html
Interview with Evan
http://static.rubiverse.com/podcasts/3-evan-phoenix-on-rubinius.mp3