Hi guys,

I wanted to avoid using the word "block" as it's such a key word in Ruby.
I'm performing the same test twice here and there must be a way to
reuse it...
=begin
Mon Jan 21 12:51:19 GMT 2008
simple plays with dirs
=end

# create a "singleton object"
testobj = Object.new

# play with the object - just a start ;-)
def testobj.homePlay
  startDir = Dir.pwd
  p "current dir is #{startDir}"
  puts "Dir.getwd == Dir.pwd" if Dir.getwd == Dir.pwd

# check for ~/
  if Dir.exist?("#{ENV["HOME"]}")
    p "changing to ~/"
  else
    p "cannot find your home dir. STOP!"
    exit
  end

  Dir.chdir

# have we changed directory from where we started?
  if Dir.pwd == startDir
    p "current dir is still #{startDir}. pwd not changed ;-)"
  else
    p "pwd has changed to Dir.pwd"
  end

  print "file listing of your home dir...\n\n"

  p Dir.entries(".").sort # << this an array
  print "\n\nlisting ../ \n\n"
  Dir.foreach("..") {|x| p x}

end
# end of method testobj.dirPlay

def testobj.procPlay
  px = "/proc/"
  if Dir.exist?("#{px}")
    p "#{px} dir found - continue"
  else
    p "#{px} not found - STOP!"
    exit

# send message to object
testobj.homePlay
testobj.procPlay

__END__
The question is how to reuse the "testing if directory exists chunk of code"? I'm still thinking procedurally I guess.
Regards,

John Maclean
MSc (DIC)
+44 7739 171 531