2008/1/23, Paolo Nusco Perrotta <paolo.nusco.perrotta / gmail.com>:
> On Jan 22, 2008 4:47 PM, Ben Johnson <bjohn... / contuitive.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to determine if a public instance method is being called
> > from an object or within the class?
>
> If I understood correctly, you want to look into the call stack. If
> so, you must resort to an hack.

I do not see how using #caller is a hack.

I was under the impression that Ben rather wanted a static analysis,
i.e. determine code coverage.  This is next to impossible with a
dynamic language such as Ruby.  A simple approach would be to grep all
involved source files and look for the method's name.  But if that is
a common name or overloaded a lot you're out of luck.

Kind regards

robert