What do you mean? What do you see in your web browser when you connect
to "http://localhost" (by default it should be a 'Replace this file!'
message). Have you created an application in Rails by changing the
directory to where you app should be and then typing: rails my_app_name
to create it? Are you starting WEBrick (ruby script/server) and then
connecting to http://localhost:3000 to see the Rails default info screen?

Likewise what do you see when you are connecting to MySQL? Are you
connecting to the default port of 3306? Are you using a command line or
a GUI such as the MySQL Administrator? What messages do you see on your
screen? InstantRails sets up MySQL to use a username of root with a
blank password. What do you see when you try these values?

Saying you are having a hard time doesn't provide any information about
what may be going wrong. If you provide specific error messages or
describe how you are trying to connect, that would be much more helpful
to troubleshoot.

I'm guessing that you are probably new to Rails. You should pick up a
copy of "Agile Web Development with Rails" (second edition) and see
section 3.2 for InstantRails on Windows and then work through chapter 4.

-Jim