On 21 Jan 2008, at 15:12, Todd Benson wrote:

> 2008/1/18 yermej <yermej / gmail.com>:
>>
>> For The Illiad, I got:
>> ' who are
>> perishing and coming to a bad end. We will, however, since you so
>> bid us, refrain from actual fighting, but we will make serviceable
>> suggestions to the Argives' (168 characters)
>>

> Using Eric's code, for "The Iliad" downloaded from the Gutenberg
> project...
>
> "On this the rest of the Acheans with one voice were for respecting
> the priest and taking the ransom that he offered; but not so
> Agamemnon, who spoke fiercely to him and sent him roughly away. " (193
> characters)
>
> Todd

In my copy of the Illiad (there's a phrase I never thought I'd use!),
those two sections differ in whitespace / linebreaks:

   On this the rest of the Achaeans with one voice were for
respecting the priest and taking the ransom that he offered; but not
so Agamemnon, who spoke fiercely to him and sent him roughly away.
"Old man," said he, "let me not find you tarrying about our ships, nor
yet coming hereafter.

and

   "On this the rest of the Achaeans with one voice were for respecting
the priest and taking the ransom that he offered; but not so
Agamemnon, who spoke fiercely to him and sent him roughly away. So
he went back in anger, and Apollo, who loved him dearly, heard his
prayer.

Did you get yours from http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/homer-illiad.txt
  ?

/dh