Sheesh! All is working now and I can move along ;-) ty! This is all that I wanted to do:-

def grab_spit_number_case
  p "enter a digit : "
  gets.chomp
  number = $_.to_i
  puts number
  p number.class

  case
    when number < 0
      p "this number is -ve. can't play: STOP!"
    when number == 0
      p "can\'t do much with a Zero. You sure you gave me a +ve number?"
    when number > 0
      p "this is your number: #{number} and this is it's square#{number*number}"
    else p "what number did you pass to me exactly? can't seem to determine it"

grab_spit_number_case

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:10:50 +0900
"Andrew Timberlake" <andrew / andrewtimberlake.com> wrote:

> > def
> > test_gets_positive p "gimme a number : "
> >   ask = gets.chomp
> >   n = ask.to_i
> >
> >   case
> >     when n < 0
> >       puts "this number is -ve. i ain't gonna play no more! STOP!"
> >       exit
> >     when n = 0
> >     print " this number is +ve! this it\'s square:"
> >     p n*n
> >   end
> > end
> >
> > test_gets_positive
> >
> > wtf has happened to n?
> >

> In this code the line:
> when n = 0
> looks wrong
> Shouldn't it be:
> when n >= 0
>
> Andrew Timberlake
> andrew / andrewtimberlake.com
> 082 415 8283
> skype: andrewtimberlake
>
> "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
>                                                 --Mark Twain

Regards,

John Maclean
MSc (DIC)