Well, I'm using it with arrays, here's a clip of the code that I'm
using.

captions_number = YAML.load(File.open("arrays/captions_number.yaml"))
captions = YAML.load(File.open("arrays/captions_array.yaml"))
captions_delete = []

Basically that clip right there opens the files and sets them for an
array that I use later in the program. I then at the end, send out all
the updates arrays to the files so when it loops back through the array
is updated. This way I can close the program and my arrays are still set
where they were left off.

Like I said it works great in windows, not sure why it's not working
with the Mac.