On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Tj Superfly wrote:

> Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 2008 9:25 PM, Tj Superfly <nonstickglue / verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>> She can't find the run file.
>>>
>>> She's installed "ruby" but it will only open the .rb file in a text
>>> editor.
>>>
>>> When she clicks on other (to locate another program) we can't find
>>> anything ruby related.
>>>
>>> Does that help?
>>
>> Not really. What program are you trying to run? What version of
>> Mac OS and Ruby are installed?
>
> Mac OS 10.5 (leopard)
>
> it said that ruby 1.9.0 is installed

If you're expecting some zippy IDE, that's not really what Ruby is
about. Ruby is a programming language.

Open a terminal window (it's under Applications:Utilities)

Enter some text in a text editor (emacs, vim, vi, ...):

1.upto(3){|n| puts "hello #{n}"}

save it as hello.rb.

type:

ruby hello.rb

results are:

hello 1
hello 2
hello 3

Does this get you started more in the right direction?