Andrew Ohnstad wrote:
> Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
>> You're mixing 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.
> My MySQL installation is 64 bit, and so as a result so are its
> libraries.
>
> My Ruby installation is, indeed, a 32 bit install.  That's how the
> package I installed compiled it.  I tried changing that by recompiling
> in 64 bit mode early in this whole saga, but it was an absolute
> nightmare.  I don't think the make files of most of the Ruby libraries
> play nicely with 64 bit compile options.
>
> I suppose I could install the libraries from a 32bit MySQL installation
> and rebuild the gem based on those...

I tried this as well.  I got the MySQL libraries off a Solaris x86 32
bit machine and copied over to my 64 bit machine.  But after installing
the gem, the mysql.so is still 64 bit.

root@trinity:/opt/mysql/mysql/lib/32# file libmysqlclient.so
libmysqlclient.so:      ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386 Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped

root@trinity:/opt/mysql/mysql/lib/32# gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config
--with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib/32
Successfully installed mysql-2.7
1 gem installed

root@trinity:/opt/mysql/mysql/lib/32# file
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.so
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.so:       ELF
64-bit LSB dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not
stripped, no debugging information available
root@trinity:/opt/mysql/mysql/lib/32#

I'm about to give up and just reinstall mysql in 32 bit mode, but I
don't want to give up whatever little speed edge I'm getting from the 64
bit version.  I can't be the first person to use sunfreeware ruby with
official mysql...