On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:28:11 GMT, Daniel <notdanielt3 / gte.net> wrote:

>In video games, the only test that matters is, "Does the producer like
>the result?" The answer to that changes with the wind.
>
>I've had producers tell me they hate a particluar part of the program,
>then in the next internal release, tell me they really like the changes
>I made. When, in fact, I made no changes to that part of the program at
>all.
>
>I've had functional specs that have been in forced for 5 months
>straight, but then thrown away in the last week of the production cycle
>(forcing us to re-write whole sections of code) because some higher up,
>who finally got around to looking at the program, didn't like the
>result.
>
>In my work, there are no business rules to test against. :-(

And you think it's different in other domains?

Of course customers are capricious.  They often don't know what they
want until they see it.  More often they know what they don't want
when they see it, but still can't quite tell you what they want.
That's the way it is all over.

None of this is an argument against writing tests.  You write tests to
make sure your new code hasn't broken your old code.  You write tests
to make sure your code behaves as you expected it to behave.  You
write tests to make sure your code is modular and decoupled.  You need
all these assurances *because* your customer's are capricious, and
will force you to make changes.

I strongly recommend that you start feeding back information to your
customers.  Tell the guy that you didn't make any changes when he
complements you on the changes you made.

Robert C. Martin    | "Uncle Bob"              | Software Consultants
Object Mentor Inc.  | rmartin / objectmentor.com | We'll help you get
PO Box 5757         | Tel: (800) 338-6716      | your projects done.
565 Lakeview Pkwy   | Fax: (847) 573-1658      | www.objectmentor.com
Suite 135           |                          | www.XProgramming.com
Vernon Hills, IL,   | Training and Mentoring   | www.junit.org
60061               | OO, XP, Java, C++, Python|