On Jan 17, 2008 4:58 AM, Doug Livesey <biot023 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that the PP FXRuby book is out, I really have a yen to begin
> developing desktop apps again.
> I've looked, but struggled to find, any comparisons between FXRuby
> (which now has a book) and Shoes (which I just have a hunch I'll
> appreciate).

Shoes and FXRuby are really different.

FXRuby is a standard GUI toolkit, comparable to wxruby or gtk with
classes for different GUI aspects. These toolkits all provide the
ability to build relatively normal-looking applications. While Shoes
has some prebuilt classes like buttons and text-boxes, you lose out on
things like a tree-list, complex text editing, built-in undo
functionality, and good old gray file/edit/help menus. That said,
Shoes lets you really be a designer, a shoes app is going to look like
a web app, not like a desktop app.
Oh, and Shoes code is going to look a lot prettier.

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney