On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:50:13 -0500, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Len Lawrence wrote:
>
>> I am floundering here, again.
>> Having more or less decided to switch from rubytk to fxruby I have
>> installed FOX and the fxruby-1.4.7 gem in Mandriva 2007.  The simple
>> test program from David Berube's book Practical Ruby Gems does not
>> work.  In fact none of the package test examples will run either.
>> They all
>> fall down trying to load fox14...
>
> <snip>
>
>> and the error is:
>> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
>> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- fox14 (LoadError)
>>         from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
>> 27:in `require'
>>         from zeg.rb:2
>>
>> The gem search path is:
>> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.4.7
>> and the target is lib/fox14 which certainly exists and contains a
>> number of ruby scripts; aliases.rb, calendar.rb, core.rb, etc.
>
> It sounds as though the gem installation failed at some point. What
> version of RubyGems are you using? Were there any error messages
> during the build?
>
> Please note that FXRuby version 1.4.7 is a very, very old version
> which is no longer supported. It's quite possible that there have
> been changes to GCC, or Ruby, or RubyGems, or who-knows-what, that
> have rendered FXRuby 1.4.7 unbuildable in your particular development
> environment. Is there some reason why you can't use the latest
> release of FXRuby (currently, version 1.6.13)?

I did try that at some point and have just tried it again.  It fails to
build the native extensions.  My guess was that the FOX library version
had to match and Mandriva supplied libFOX-1.4.  Certainly the native
extensions compile with FOX-1.4 and fxruby-1.4.7.  There is a FOX-1.7 on
the system but I assume that would lead to compilation errors as well.

I shall check Mandriva 2008 to see if FOX-1.6 is available.

Later

Len