On Jan 15, 2008 11:14 PM, Prasad Pednekar <prasadm29 / gmail.com> wrote:
>    I was trying out the following snippet of code and just wanted to
> know why the rescue doesn't work when the username or password are not
> valid. The code works fine when both are valid, but I wanted to catch
> invalid login error and take action, but so far can't do so.

It's because not all exceptions are created equal :)

Some (most) are inherited from StandardError, which you will catch
with a simple rescue statement, others come from other parent classes.

Here is a short write up on it for you, it talks about Net::POP3, but
you are probably running into the same thing:

http://lindsaar.net/2007/12/9/rbuf_filltimeout-error

Regards

Mikel