Luis Lavena wrote:
> The problem is related to system() and ruby.
>
> It don't take as valid "executables" the batch files (.bat or .cmd)
> that ruby on Windows need to get gem, rake, or other gem installed
> tools run.
>
> Try the following in a IRB session:
> irb(main):005:0> system "gem", "-v"
> => false
> irb(main):006:0> system "gem.bat", "-v"
> 0.9.4
> => true

OK, I see this in IRB too. I'm still a little confused just because the
tasks that Rake is failing on I am typing in exactly as Rake is issuing
them (well, I haven't traced it inside a debugger but based on the
--trace output to the screen).

> I you take a closer look, you see that I needed to provide the file
> extension to get it working.
> Hoe task lack the extension of the command, mostly because it need to
> be cross-platform compatible, and is just Windows that needs it.

Case in point, Rake fails on the "rake install_gem" command on the "gem
install pkg/*.gem" yet this works verbatim on the command line. I don't
need "gem.bat install..." on the command line.
> You can suggest a patch to Hoe project that takes RUBY_PLATFORM in
> consideration and set the correct system call.

Obviously I do need to trace this inside a debugger and understand it
better before I suggest a patch. Being my first gem, I am in that grey
area where when things go wrong, I'm not sure whether it is how I have
things configured or other sometimes Windows specific issues.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Jim