John Miller wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> John Miller wrote:
>>
>>> bash scripts.
>>> need to run JRuby, and what else outh I get to make Rails work with it?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> John Miller
>>>
>> I can answer the Java questions for you if you answer one for me, do you
>> need the compiler too?
>>

> Do I need a compiler to require .jar files in JRuby?

You only need the compiler if you want to build JRuby from source.

One other answer to your original thread....I like to have MRI (C
version of Ruby) higher in my path than JRuby.  Then I make heavy use of
the '-S' option of Ruby to do things between the two implementations:

 > jruby -S gem install rails
 > ruby -S gem install rails
 > jruby -S rails

One other commonly asked next question is can you share gem
installations.  The answer is no since some gems have native extensions
(e.g. you install platform specific mongrel gems).

-Tom

--
Thomas E Enebo <thomas.enebo / sun.com>
JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo