On Jan 11, 1:14 pm, Todd Burch <pro... / burchwoodusa.com> wrote:

> All in all, it just seems non-ruby-ish.   (Not to mention the fact that
> it causes me grief when send a file from my Mac to my PC, and run it
> through a CRLF fixer-program that turns the first extra of the double
> CRs into blanks, and subsequently causes ruby parser errors for these
> situations)

If you're using Mac OS X, rather than OS 9 or earlier, then your text
files should be using LF as a line break, not CR. And ruby on the PC
should be able to handle LF line endings just fine; you shouldn't need
to convert line endings. Any decent PC text editor shoud be able to
handle LF as well (notepad.exe is *not* a decent text editor), and
even if not, a proper line ending converter should just insert a CR
before each LF without causing any problems.

If you are actually using CR as a line ending, well then, um, stop
it. :-)