olczyk / interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk) wrote:
[snip]
> consider a method which takes
> a string and produces a new string such that:
> 1) all digits are removed.
> 2) all lowercase are changed to uppercase.
> 3) multiple spaces are converted to one space
> 4) tab is converted to one space.
[snip]
> This response as every response to this thread tells me absolutely
> nothing with the exception of pointing me to str.tr where I *might*
> find the answers by looking at the source.

Pardon, but every response up until your last message answered the
question above.  You later redefined the problem with hexadecimal
,octal, and binary representations thrown in.  Those, 'hacks' you
derided are one of ruby's great strengths when it comes to string
manipulation, and you said nothing about not using regular expressions
for this problem.  If you insist on coding in the style of your original
post, why not use C and pick up that little speed boost?

regards,
Alexander Schofield