John Miller wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I have concluded that I ought to try out JRuby.  Running on windows I
> get the short end of the stick when it comes to non-ruby-native
> functionality, and there is an AI package in Java that I want to play
> with in a language that doesn't require a novel worth of code to use.  I
> have a few questions about how to make this happen:
>
> 1) What is the best way to get MRI and JRuby to live on the same
> (Windows) system?  The only answer I've found to this question involves
> bash scripts.
>
> 2) What do I need to get in terms of a Java Environment.  below is the
> output of Java -version:
>   java version "1.4.1_03"
>   Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_03-b02)
>   Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_03-b02, mixed mode)
> This was likely installed at least 3 years ago, and is probably out of
> date.  I went to java.sun.com to look for "the latest version" and hit
> buzzword central.  The last time I did anything more then run a Java App
> was 6+ years ago and I'm now lost in all the new Lingo.  So, what to I
> need to run JRuby, and what else outh I get to make Rails work with it?
>
> 3) Is is possible to "move" my installed gems from MRI Ruby1.8.6 to
> JRuby without having to touch the network.  All I have is a 56.6k modem,
> and Downloading rails again is a 4 hour job. (BTW: Is there a way in
> general to download a gem and not install it? For example could I get
> the latest Rails release on my Laptop at work and bring the files home
> to install on the desktop?)
>
> 4) What does it take to get SQLite or some equivalent no configuration
> database running in JRuby?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> John Miller

I can answer the Java questions for you if you answer one for me, do you
need the compiler too?  In either case go to java.sun.com and on the
right side there is a heading that says, "Popular Downloads", under that
select "Java SE".  On the page it takes you to, select either JDK 6
Update 3 (if you need the compiler) or Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
Update 3.  On the down load page, click the Accept License Agreement
button and download the Windows Offline Installation.  Clicking on the
silly check box to the left gets you nowhere so click on the hyperlink.
  You can uninstall you current version first if you want but it is not
required.  There will be a couple of directories left in C:\Program
Files\Java and you can delete those or just leave them.  If you don't
need the compiler the download is much smaller.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/