On Jan 6, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:

> No I didn't run those in production, but that's mostly because Vintage
> reloads templates every time (i.e., no caching and such like
> production modes on both of those).  I didn't think about sessions, so
> I should turn those off.  These numbers were for the same
> functionality among all the frameworks.

i can see you line of thinking, still, rails and merb both are
=production, so it's probably worthwhile to either test those in
production or implement caching - which is pretty easy (un-tested):

class Template
   Cache = Hash.new
   Development = ENV['development']

   if Development
     def self.read path
       IO.read(path)
     end
   else
     def self.read path
       Cache[path] ||= IO.read(path)

not that this would work for anything but testing - but that it does...

> I'm working on some better numbers using production modes, evented
> Mongrels, Thin, and so on.  I'll post them here (hopefully) tonight
> when I can get the data collected. :)

cool.  the reason i asked the question is that after doing some
careful benchmarks myself i've come to the conclusion that the only
way to get more than a modest speedup out of a ruby web framework,
when compared to rails, is to rework things like cgi parsing in C
(which is done and released as a library) rather than tweak the ruby
bits and framework code.  it's true that one could expect a speedup
of 2x or something but, for me, i'd need to see a speedup of around
and order of magnitude or something to make a switch worthwhile and
my hunch is that - once the code for a 'real' app like sessions, db
connection, etc are thrown in - all ruby frameworks will be very
closely matched to rails, which has seen heavy optimization in many
of it's billions of lines of code.  note that i'm really hoping to be
proven wrong - but that's my gut feeling at the moment.  i'll follow
vintage with great interest.

kind regards.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
--
share your knowledge.  it's a way to achieve immortality.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama