thefed wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008, at 11:07 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> Instead, what you need to do is profile the Ruby script, using the
>> profiling tools built in to Ruby/Rails. This is covered in a number of
>> books, so I won't go into it here. The point is that you need to define
>> the problem, if indeed there is one, and use a *systematic* approach to
>> solving it.
>
> So ruby methods won't *try* to use as much CPU as necessary, just as
> much as needed?
>
> IE, a puts statement wont take up 100% of my CPU for a split second, it
> will only use 1%?

Actually, all of that is handled by the operating systems, and most of
them do a better job of scheduling than an application designer can.
Operating systems manage the processor(s), I/O devices, memory and
processes for you. There are cases where you can get raw speed at the
expense of portability, but in general you're far better off letting the
operating system do the managing.

On a *totally* unrelated note, I want to share something "cute" I got
today when I installed Wireshark.