Pascal,

Thanks for your comments. I do download with into a time stamped
directory using QPICT.  This does a great job.
I'm more careful now to make sure that my cameras are set to the
correct date and time, but this is all about past pictures, and the
date and time that you find in Finder's Get Info.  I would like to
retrieve the date and time that the file was created and eventually
insert them in the EXIF field.  I have several hundred photos whose
EXIF fields are mangled!

Pete