On 4 ene, 09:35, Michal Suchanek <hramr... / centrum.cz> wrote:

> If youcan afford relying on ruby stdlib, there is zlib which can do
> deflate and gunzip.
>
> There is minitar hosted on rubyforge under ruwiki (does not work on
> unseekable files like stdin but works on gzipped files by using zlib).
> There is rubyzip (untested, uses zlib for compression). bzip2 remains
> to be solved but hopefully the basic stuff can be obtained as gzipped
> archives.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=84
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=909

Thank you Michal,

Since I was moving from a batch-build process to a ruby/rake build
process, a few external tools remains as requirement.

MinGW packages are distributed in tar.gz format [1] (which I guess map
perfect for Minitar project), but MSYS provides tar.bz2 files [2],
which will still need the external tool to uncompress.

In this case, tar.bz2 files can be uncompressed with bsdtar, which is
the best implementation I've tested that work with all the file
formats. (tgz, tar.gz and tar.bz2)

There is also the memory usage and speed situation, extract 8MB files
can take a bit slow using a pure-ruby implementation.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82723&release_id=237094
[2] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

Regards,
--