On 04/01/2008, Luis Lavena <luislavena / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 ene, 03:03, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn... / cesmail.net> wrote:
> > Luis Lavena wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > To bootstrap and use this project, you need:
> > > - Ruby 1.8.5 or greater
> > > - Rake 0.7.3 or greater
> > > - Tar [1] and Unzip [2] binary packages from GnuWin32
> >
> > Aren't they in MSys?
> >

> Chicken-egg situation:
>
> They are inside the compressed tar.gz and tar.bz2 files... how I'm
> supposed to get them if I don't decompress them first? :-D
>
> So: if someone have a pure-ruby (with aditional gem or extension) that
> allow us extract content from:
>
> - .zip (deflate) files
> - .gz (of .tar.gz) files
> - .bz2 (of .tar.bz2) files
>
> All without these dependencies, feel free to modify rake/
> extracttask :-)

If youcan afford relying on ruby stdlib, there is zlib which can do
deflate and gunzip.

There is minitar hosted on rubyforge under ruwiki (does not work on
unseekable files like stdin but works on gzipped files by using zlib).
There is rubyzip (untested, uses zlib for compression). bzip2 remains
to be solved but hopefully the basic stuff can be obtained as gzipped
archives.

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=84
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=909

Thanks