Matz,

Its here, finally :-) Its been hard to actually code this stuff because every two
seconds I'm picking it up look up some syntax or method...

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ruby way, and although I could figure
out a boring C style way of doing this, I'm wondering how I can do it with
blocks...
the basic idea is that this script will take a database and a table (if given)
grab the types of the fields and populate it with random data...good for getting
stuff setup quickly...when i get it done i'd be happy to send it to the
list....so, onto the code....

So, what i'd like to do is this:

m = Mysql.new(host, user, passwd, db)

if defined? table
     m.list_fields(table).fetch_fields.each do |f|
          puts f.name
     end
else
    m.list_tables.each do |table|
        m.list_fields(table).fetch_fields.each do |f|
          puts f.name

so, if table is defined, it uses that and grabs the fields for the table...else,
it cycles through all the
tables in the database...the m.list_fields block is the same in both situations
though, so i know there must be a more elegant, more ruby like way to do
this...any suggestions?

thanks!
jack