> Why do you need a
> different syntax?
>
> Regards,
> Jordan

It's not a dire need, but it would definitely be useful. For example,
suppose you are constructing a string that generates ruby code. You
will need a way to tell the parser that #{foobar} is no longer
intended as a variable placeholder.

You could, of course, change the entire string into an uninterpolated
string, but that eliminates the ability to specify variables entirely.

Just to let you know this is not an original idea that I cooked up out
of thin air, see how Python supports this feature in:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0292/

and search for the text:

    define a delimiter character other than '$'

ALTERNATIVE QUESTION:

I've used ERB before, does it enable you to specify alternate syntaxes
for the variable placeholders? Template::Toolkit (as an example) does
allow this, if you want more details on what I am asking about, take a
look at:

    http://template-toolkit.org/docs/manual/Syntax.html

Thanks for your responses so far.