On Jan 2, 4:58=A0pm, Giles Bowkett <gil... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That doesn't mean people can't or shouldn't point out weak arguments,
> > > unsound ideas, bad code, etc, just that being nasty is self-serving an=
> > > =A0bad for the Ruby community.
>
> > I've seen people, from time to time, chime into a slightly heated debate=

> > with the words "What would Matz do?" or something to that effect. =A0It
> > tends to work well. =A0All it takes is a reminder to try to adhere to th=
> > reputation that Ruby's community is one of the friendliest -- and to
> > offer those reminders even when someone is defending Ruby against
> > aggressors.
>
> I think that's why Rails has issues. "What would DHH do?" Well, he'd
> probably flip you the bird or something.
> --
> Giles Bowkett

I just had to laugh at this. ;-)

It's just so true. So I complain about the lack of an IdentityMap in
ActiveRecord. A few AR fans tell me it's too hard. DHH says "go get
'em tiger" (which I take as pretty patronizing), and later (IIRC)
something to the effect of, STFU until I've contributed something
worthwhile to the community.

Now by that point I'm not going to claim some sort of notoriety, but I
did have 4 active projects on Rubyforge including an ActiveRecord
adapter for MSSQL.

So I've been wrong many a time here on comp.lang.ruby. But I feel like
I've always been given the benefit of doubt, and the basic respect I'd
hope to myself be giving to other Rubyists here. They just don't feel
like the same community.