On 2 Jan, 22:17, Stephen Schor <beholdthepa... / gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note:
>
> Sorry about the copy and paste error.
> found here
> (http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyosa-discuss/2006-October.txt)
> It's the message sent " Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:37:25 +0200"...
>
> "After a quick investigation it revealed that QuickTime Player.app
> doesn't wake up when we request its scriptable definition, for the
> reason that it uses the old aete mechanism and that the sdef is
> generated on the fly, without the need to actually start and ask the
> application. However from a RubyOSA perspective, we should probably
> ensure that the given application is active after an OSA.app call"

That's just sloppy design on RubyOSA's part, relying on a side-effect
of the terminology retrieval process that may or may not need to
launch an application depending on whether its terminology is
dynamically or statically defined.

AppleScript and appscript both do the sensible thing, which is to
launch a non-running application themselves via the Process Manager/
LaunchServices the first time they need to send it an event.

Again, I'd recommend Ruby appscript as the best choice for controlling
"AppleScriptable" Mac applications from Ruby (with Leopard's Scripting
Bridge a poor second if you absolutely can't have external
dependencies). Rb-appscript is based on the Python appscript bridge
which has been around since 2003, so it's a much more mature, polished
solution than RubyOSA and easily gives AppleScript a run for its money
too.

HTH

has
--