Luis Lavena wrote:
> - Build with MinGW also requires proper testing, which I've tried to
> get some assistance on this list and also on ruby-core about serious
> issues (blockers) without success too (hey, maybe I need to learn
> english, since I think noone understand what I write).

I can't help you with ruby-core, but I *can* test MinGW (and Cygwin,
which I prefer) versions of Ruby. :) I think the real issue isn't
performance or open versus closed source, though. The real issue is that
a large number of Windows "workstations" are inside very tightly
controlled IT environments, and *anything* other than approved software
is frowned upon. That includes One-Click, MinGW, Cygwin, and lots of
other things.

Now if you're talking about *servers*, I'd be inclined to join in the
chorus of "get a real OS". ;) Seriously, though, Windows servers *using
all of the native Microsoft tools* have an unjustified bad reputation.
They're fine tools, the performance is competitive with the LAMP stack
(now), and the .NET development environment is world-class. But why pay
the Windows license fees for the base server OS if you're going to run
Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, and Ruby/Rails or PHP? Why not just get
Debian, Fedora, CentOS (free), or even RHEL, which is cheaper than
Windows Server?