Hello guys,

I'm new to Ruby and Linux, I was happily doing some examples and
exploring this wonderful language, when I decided to upgrade to RubyGems
1.0.1.

After that (and I think it was after that, not really sure), all the
gems I had installed where gone.

Issuing this command showed an empty list:
"gem list" or "sudo gem list"

But I was sure I had rails, mongrel, sqlite3, rake and other gems
installed. So I did a "find / -name "mongrel*.*" and found them in:
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems

After typing "gem env" I got this:
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.0.1 (1.0.1)
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-06-07 patchlevel 36) [i486-linux]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-linux
  - GEM PATHS:
     - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

So how do I tell RubyGems to look in the old directories? and why did
the directories change? do you think something else could be broken with
my installation? how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance.