On Jan 1, 2008, at 9:59 PM, John Wells wrote:

> I have tried:
>
> Process.setrlimit Process::RLIMIT_STACK, Process::RLIM_INFINITY,
> Process::RLIM_INFINITY
> Process.setrlimit Process::RLIMIT_STACK, 0, Process::RLIM_INFINITY

It looks like you are trying to increase the max stack size
to RLIM_INFINITY, which can only be done if you have super-user
access.  What you want to do is to just raise the soft-limit. Try the
following in IRB and see if it works on your system:

 >> include Process
=> Object
 >> s = getrlimit RLIMIT_STACK
=> [8388608, 67108864]
 >> setrlimit RLIMIT_STACK, s.first*2, s.last
=> nil
 >> getrlimit RLIMIT_STACK
=> [16777216, 67108864]

In this example, I'm just changing the stack limit to twice its
default size, which is still less than the max limit of 67108864.

This example was done on a Mac OS 10.4 system.

Gary Wright