James Dinkel wrote:
>>From what I understand, the big goal of YARV was to spit out bytecode
> from your ruby scripts.  From what I understand of bytecode, it can be
> executed faster and also hides the source code.  I may be
> misunderstanding bytecode, but my question is can the just released Ruby
> 1.9.0 produce bytecode?

It uses a bytecode representation internally, but doesn't currently
write the bytecode to disk like python does.

The VM::InstructionSequence class gives some access to the bytecode.
You can get the individual elements of the sequence by calling #to_a.

There is support in Nodewrap for saving/restoring instruction sequences,
but needs to be updated for the latest 1.9.

Paul