On Dec 28, 10:14 pm, Koni Marti <KMa... / gmx.ch> wrote:
> >> irb(main):001:0> RUBY_PLATFORM
> >> => "x86_64-linux"
> >> irb(main):002:0> 1.size
> >> => 8
>
> Isn't it a huge wast of memory resources to store every number in 8
> bytes? I think about counters or other occasions where 8 bytes are way
> too much for simple scripts. This may extremely hamper the performance.
> Is there a way to specify the number of bytes for representing numbers?
> Otherwise, it would be useful to extend the Fixnum functionality for
> that feature; what do you think?

That how gcc implements it, but on windows:

Type        32 bit    64 bit
------------------------------
char        8         unchanged
short       16        unchanged
int         32        unchanged
long        32        unchanged
long long   64        unchanged
pointer     32        64
enum        32        unchanged
float       32        unchanged
double      64        unchanged
long double 128       unchanged
size_t      32        64

int remains 32bits, pointers are now 64 and to get "Bignum" you need
to use long long to get 64.

So someone can say windows is more memory footprint friendly than
linux ;-)

Luis