Bob Calco wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'd like to embed Ruby in an agent/service program that keeps running, but
> I'm wondering if it isn't easier to just create a process and redirect the
> output rather than embed the interpreter. I've looked at main.c for an
> example, and at eruby, but neither are quite analogous to what I'd like to
> do.

It's explained in the book "Ruby Developers Guide" which will ship
this month.

All you have to do is to initialize Ruby once with (don't forget to
#include "ruby.h"):

  ruby_init();
  ruby_init_loadpath();

Then you can use the rb_XXX methods to create objects etc.
For example you can read in a Ruby source file with:

  rb_require("./file.rb");

And then call a method with

  rb_funcall2(VALUE obj, ID method, int nr_params, VALUE* params)

or

  rb_eval_string(char* str)

There are lots of further functions.

Also have a look at file README.EXT of the Ruby distribution.

Regards,

  Michael

--
Michael Neumann