Stephen Lewis wrote:
>> Jesse Crockett wrote:
>>
>>same problems after apt installing zlib1g-dev
>>
>>results: http://pastie.caboo.se/132604
>>
>>further, I installed Ruby and Gems from source (I believe) ...
>

> If you didn't have the -dev zlib package installed when you compiled
> Ruby from source, the Ruby zlib extension can't have been built.
>
> Its a little confusing because two subtly different things share the
> same name - a plain old C shared library, and a ruby extension that
> uses it.  It's the latter part that is being complained about in those
> error messages.
>
> Try rebuilding now that you have the -dev package installed, and see
> if that helps.
>
> Note that you'll probably find that other extensions bundled with the
> interpreter are missing if you don't have the requisite -dev packages
> when you build.

Whoa.  I am confused.  Thanks so much for helping, but nothing seems to
work.  I had a similar problem with MySQL, and it turned out all I had
to do was reboot.

this is all i can think to do: whereis zlib
zlib: /usr/include/zlib.h /usr/share/man/man3/zlib.3.gz

Say I want to start from scratch.  Can this be done without a fresh OS
install?