> There is no need for Array#last or Array#first
> since you can simply use an_array[-1] or an_array[0]

I think if you combine this with that here (about .last and .first)

> I find that my programs are usually easier to read when I can
> use words rather non-alphabetic symbols.
(I believe he meant numbers... "non-alphabetic symbols" sounds weird to
me, and maybe slightly confusing as ruby has :symbols too ... )

then it would become more obvious as to the _why_ about this suggestion.

But this discussion seems to have it's own waves, maybe we should
wait for Robert to write something about it since he kinda started this
:-)